Open letter from SBC

SBC issues an appeal for help to control fly tipping, littering and criminal damage in Colnbrook, Poyle & Brands Hill.

SBC, together with their partners, Thames Valley Police, Berkshire Fire & Rescue Service, L&Q Housing, will today be calling on households around the western end of the Village at the start of their wide ranging battle against fly tipping, littering and criminal damage throughout our communities. This initiative is supported by the CCA, Colnbrook NAG, the Parish Council, the CRA, Colne Valley Park and both schools.


Here is the open letter to all residents;-

SBC - Pantone 201






Wednesday 27th May 2015

Dear Resident(s),

Help us to tackle Crime and Anti-Social Behaviour in your local area, Slough Borough Council, Thames Valley Police, Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service and L&Q have received a number of reports about fly-tipping, littering, criminal damage and arson in your local area. We need your help in tackling these issues so that we can identify
those responsible and take action against them.

Fly tipping
Fly-tipping is the illegal dumping of waste. If you dump waste on the ground, even next to your household waste bins, you will be fly-tipping. If you have bulky items or waste which does not fit into bins provided by Slough Borough Council you must take it to a properly permitted site (see the attached leaflet ‘Your Responsibility for Household Waste’ for details of sites in Slough).

Slough Borough Council WILL take action against any individual caught fly-tipping. The
possible penalties for fly-tipping include an unlimited fine or imprisonment.

Help us to catch fly-tippers
We are appealing to residents in the area to be the ‘eyes and ears’ for Slough Borough
Council and the Police.

If you see someone fly-tipping or notice an area where fly-tipping has taken place, please
take a note of the following:
• the date, time and place of the occurrence;
• what the waste looks like and how much of it there is;
• a description of any vehicles involved and the vehicle registration number;
• a description of the individual(s) doing the fly-tipping.

Then report the information in one of the following ways:
Anti-Social Behaviour Hotline 01753 875298 (24 hour hotline)
Council’s website Click on ‘Report it’
MyCouncil 01753 475111 (option 5, ask for Resilience and Enforcement Team)

Arson – Help reduce fire in your local community
Laving rubbish lying around is a serious fire risk. You can help to reduce fires:

• Fully extinguish cigarettes and other smoking materials before disposal;
• Don’t allow rubbish to build up outside your property;
• Dispose of old rubbish and furniture responsibly;
• Make sure that bins are firmly shut.
For further fire safety advice please visit

Anyone who drops litter in a public place is committing a crime and can be fined £75 Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN). If not paid, a magistrates’ court can impose a fine of up to £2500.

Criminal Damage
The Council and Police continue to receive reports of criminal damage and use of catapults to damage property.

What is criminal damage?
Criminal damage impacts on our local environment and quality of life and is an
unacceptable form of Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB). Criminal damage refers to crimes
where any person without lawful excuse intentionally or recklessly destroys or damages
any property belonging to another. It is often referred to as vandalism, and it includes
graffiti and arson.

What can the Council do?
Community Protection Notices (CPN’s):
The Community Protection Notice (CPN) is intended to deal with particular, ongoing
problems or nuisances which negatively affect the community’s quality of life by targeting those responsible. It can deal with a wider range of behaviours, for instance it can deal with noise nuisance and litter on private land open to the air. Failure to comply with a CPN is a criminal offence and a fixed penalty notice can be issued of up to £100 if appropriate.

Civil Injunctions
We can apply for a civil injunction to stop or prevent individuals engaging in anti-social
behaviour quickly, nipping problems in the bud before they escalate. For adults, breach of the injunction could see you imprisoned or fined. For under-18’s a breach could be dealt with through curfews, supervision or detention.

What can the Police do?
Criminal damage is an offence and anyone caught committing criminal damage can be
arrested under the Criminal Damage Act 1971. Your neighbourhood police team is keen to work in partnership with the Council and the local community to help reduce criminal
damage and improve the quality of life in your area. Please support us to help reduce the
ASB and criminal damage in your local area.
What can you do?
It is very important to report ASB and criminal damage. If you see someone causing
criminal damage, this is an offence and should be reported to the Thames Valley Police
non emergency number: 101, or if the damage is being caused at the time call 999. If
you have information on anyone causing criminal damage, including graffiti, you can also call the Council’s Anti-Social Behaviour Hotline: 01753 875298. If you are worried about reporting crime you can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

We appreciate your support in tackling these matters.

Yours Faithfully,


Resilience and Enforcement Team
In partnership with: Thames Valley Police, Berkshire Fire & Rescue Service, L&Q Housing


More articles will be published over the coming months to update residents on measures taken and progress made.

Tidy png

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>